Thursday, September 18, 2014

Single Mothers - Multiple Responsibilities

I haven’t “blogged” for a few days, mainly because I’ve been out of town for our Statewide Board Meeting. I make that trip, usually once per month. It is a good meeting. We discuss issues facing the Electric Cooperatives across the Commonwealth, legislative issues that could affect our members, financial reports, manufacturing of transformers and many other things. However, looking around the Board room, I started to think of the preparations that go into attendance of that meeting.

You see, I have to study my Board packet to get ready for the meeting. I want to understand the subjects and be ready to participate. It’s important for our members that our Statewide Board member, Jimmy Whitt and I stay current on the issues facing our Cooperative. But before that, I have to get ready to go.

I’m sure that hundreds of our members have special needs children. My son has epilepsy and he falls. There is no warning; he just hits the floor, face first or straight back. He is 24, almost 6 feet tall and 250 pounds. When he hits the floor, it sounds like a cannon going off. So Hubby is on his own when I’m gone. I have to make sure they have something for supper (Can you starve two men to death within 6 miles of a McDonalds?), clean clothes, and food for the cat and dogs.

I have to try to get ahead at the office. It seems like if you are out one day, you have a whole week of work when you get back, stacked on your desk and staring at you when you get back. I have to pack, get gas for the vehicle, fix Mom’s medicine for two days, and make sure she and Dad have something to eat and groceries while I am gone. Dad’s 84 and she is 81 and neither is in very good health. We are lucky to still have them, but we worry about them all the time.

But my point is, by the time I’m ready to leave, I’m exhausted. It’s almost not worth the trouble, but I need to attend for the sake of our members. It’s important to keep up to date and stay a little ahead of the avalanche.

Single moms (and single dads) have an even greater responsibility. You have to make arrangements for someone to keep the kids and get them where they need to go. Single moms have to make sure the bills are paid, the doctor’s appointments kept and the soccer games attended. I always had good help when my kids were little. Thank God for my Mom and my Aunt Emily. My family and I would have never survived if not for them.

But single moms have all the decisions to make. Buy a car, or not buy a car? Soccer camp or new tennis shoes at $120? Home school or public school? What is best for my family? Can a single mom lower her energy bills and make her home more comfortable? We think so. We think there are many things ladies can do for themselves and we also know there are some programs out there to help you. Call our Energy Advisor, Tina Preece for help with your energy needs. She and her husband Jamie, have three kids of their own. Tina can relate to you and your family. We’ll all be glad to help. You can also use our home energy calculator at www.graysonrecc.com and do your own home energy audit.

And all you guys who also have to travel, thank your wives when you pick up the suitcase and suit bag she packed for you and maybe give her a little kiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment